Less than a month ago, a judge ruled that the Ganges and Yamuna rivers in India and their tributaries have “the status of a legal person with all corresponding rights, duties and liabilities;” [The Guardian, 3/21/2017] and so now it goes that the Amazon River in South America has been granted the same rights by a judge in Colombia.
As reported by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund, advocates for the rights of nature (radical environmentalists), the Colombia Supreme Court of Justice declared that the Amazon “is recognized as an entity, a subject of rights” which include the right to ‘legal protection, preservation, maintenance and restoration.” (keywords: “preservation, maintenance and restoration” dog whistle for show me the money.)
This is a ludicrous development. The Amazon River is a geological feature! Sure, it is magnificent and necessary to life in the region. But, good grief, it has no volition. It is a body of water.
“Nature rights” actually empowers environmental radicals to thwart development and the proper use of natural resources….
Let’s be honest, this is all about power and oh yes, the money. So how does this affect private property ownership?
…the rights of nature would destroy private property. Instead of being owners, we would be mere trustees owing fiduciary duties to “nature.” Remember, a fiduciary must put the interests of the ward or conservatee above their own.
“Nature rights” activists seek to impede our reaping the bounties of the earth — except in the most minimal manner — by allowing radicals to obtain court orders to shut down timber harvests, fishing projects, fossil-fuel extraction (global warming, don’t you know), large-scale agriculture, mining, housing developments, GMO experimentation, etc., as violating nature’s “right” to “exist, persist, maintain and regenerate its vital cycles, structure, functions and its processes in evolution”[…]
If any of this sounds familiar to you, this is about the implementation of the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, i.e., a power grab by the global elites.
Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- 6.1 By 2030, achieve universal and equitable access to safe and affordable drinking water for all
- 6.2 By 2030, achieve access to adequate and equitable sanitation and hygiene for all and end open defecation, paying special attention to the needs of women and girls and those in vulnerable situations
- 6.3 By 2030, improve water quality by reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimizing release of hazardous chemicals and materials, halving the proportion of untreated wastewater and substantially increasing recycling and safe reuse globally
- 6.4 By 2030, substantially increase water-use efficiency across all sectors and ensure sustainable withdrawals and supply of freshwater to address water scarcity and substantially reduce the number of people suffering from water scarcity
- 6.5 By 2030, implement integrated water resources management at all levels, including through transboundary cooperation as appropriate
- 6.6 By 2020, protect and restore water-related ecosystems, including mountains, forests, wetlands, rivers, aquifers and lakes
- 6.a By 2030, expand international cooperation and capacity-building support to developing countries in water- and sanitation-related activities and programmes, including water harvesting, desalination, water efficiency, wastewater treatment, recycling and reuse technologies
- 6.b Support and strengthen the participation of local communities in improving water and sanitation management
As you can see, Agenda 2030 is right on schedule. When will people catch on to the fact that Communism killed over 94 million and that those advocating that rivers have the same rights as humans are the same people calling for human depopulation aka population control (Goal 5) but that’s for another post.
The only thing that will truly expand if Agenda 2030 if fully successful is Communism’s stranglehold across the planet.
************************Thank you for stopping by Grumpy Opinions and while you are here, please SUBSCRIBE to our Grumpy Opinions newsletter to receive our emails. You can also subscribe to Grumpy Opinions’ in our right sidebar or if you have a WordPress.com account, in our WordPress.com READER in the admin panel on the top left. Social media accounts: