Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
““Better to die fighting for freedom then be a prisoner all the days of your life.” “ – Bob Marley
“What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? “ – Thomas Jefferson
“We are sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a revolution.” – Subcommandante Marcos
This week’s winning essay,The Razor’s The Peasants Are Revolting Is his fascinating analysis of exactly what going on politically in America right now and what it means. Here’s a slice:
Watching events unfold this election year is proof that the Chinese saying “May you live in interesting times,” is a curse. 2016 is an extremely interesting time in American politics, and with each passing day I’m convinced that once this election is over things will never be the same thanks to Donald Trump.
Trump’s success has spawned a cottage industry of political navel-gazers trying to figure out how this brash and egotistical real estate developer commandeered the grassroots of a major political party. Dan Balz of the Washington Post writes, “At the core of Donald Trump’s political success this year are the grievances of a sizable and now vocal block of disaffected voters, many of them white and working-class, and a Republican Party that has sought and benefited from their support while giving them almost nothing tangible in return.”
Funny how that happened. Starting in 1994 the GOP faithful elected a Congress who was supposed to implement a “Contract with America” to lower spending. Instead what they elected was a bunch of neophytes who immediately started acting like Democrats feeding from the trough, throwing a bone to the rank and file by attempting to impeach a sitting president over his infidelity to a woman they all hated anyway. In 2000 the GOP grassroots do what they are told and elect an establishment candidate – who then goes on to start a war that his father left unfinished, blowing a hole in the budget almost as wide as any crater in Iraq.
But they do as they are told and re-elect him in 2004. And they do as they are told again in 2008 before revolting in 2010 by electing a bunch of Tea Party firebrands who… sidle up to the trough just like their Contract with America forebears did 16 years previously. The party elites are professionals at co-opting rebels, and the GOP’s did absolutely nothing to improve the lot of the grassroots. Instead their economic prospects continued dwindling as the GOP majority cut deal after deal with the Democrat minority and their liberal president.
The GOP grassroots voted for GOP candidates and found the men and women they elected to Congress were Democrats in all but name. It’s as if the Democrats had controlled Congress as well as the presidency since 2008. The Democrats push to flood labor markets with illegal aliens to boost union membership and their own party’s roster, and the GOP – beholden to the same corporations bankrolling the Democrats needing cheap labor – agree. Meanwhile American citizens watch these illegals take their jobs and drive down the wages of those they don’t.
Now some of the GOP elite are claiming they are going to vote for Hillary instead of Trump, something they had warned Trump against doing when they hoped he would flare-out last Fall. Why this may seem shocking for them it’s no surprise to the Republican Party faithful; they understand the GOP elite has been Democrats all along. At the very least it undermines their past arguments that any Republican is better in the Oval Office than any Democrat.
The GOP peasants are revolting and they have chosen as their leader the only man willing to voice their concerns. For years they have sought a fighter who would take a punch from the Democrats and hit back twice as hard. They finally found him in of all places, Donald Trump. The New York Times reports, “The problem, for figures like Mr. Forbes and Mr. Romney, is that Mr. Trump’s supporters seem profoundly uninterested at the moment with the image, expectations or traditions of the Republican Party, according to interviews with more than three dozen voters, elected officials and operatives. They are, in many cases, hostile to it. “I want to see Trump go up there and do damage to the Republican Party,” said Jeff Walls, 53, of Flowood, Miss.” Perhaps Mr. Romney would have won the election of 2012 had he hit Obama then as hard as he’s hitting Trump now.
More at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Conrad Black with Conrad Black – Don’t underestimate Donald. He will win submitted by Joshuapundit. Conrad Black, who’s writing used to appear in the NRO is apparently no longer welcome there since they started a jihad against Donald Trump. Here, in Canada’s National Post, he writes about the Donald Trump he knows personally and why he thinks that in the end, Trump will wind up in the Oval Office.
Here are this week’s full results. Only Bookworm Room and th eDaley Gator were unable to vote this week, but neither was subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 2 votes!–The Razor – The Peasants Are Revolting
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes –Joshuapundit–Why The Second Amendment Needs Serious Strengthening
- Third *t* place with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – Constitutional Conservatives Vs. The Trump Mob
- Third *t* place with 1 1/3 votes –Nice Deb – Obama’s Diplomacy With America’s Enemies Working Out About As Well As You’d Expect
- Third *t* place with 1 1/3 votes –Bookworm Room – Donald Trump, Open Primaries, and the Rise of the Xenophobic Democrat
- Fourth place with 1 vote –Stately McDaniel Manor – Do Dogs Go To Heaven?
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Right Planet – Nigel Farage: ‘The EU Is No Longer about Peace … It’s about Power!’
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –VA Right! – Hanover Republicans Come Out In Force Thursday May 10th at 7PM to PURGE NANCY RUSSELL – Feckless Hanover GOP Chairman
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote –GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Middle East’s Precision Weaponry Race
- Sixth place with 1/3 vote – Puma By Design – NYC Commies to Propose Bill to Give Illegals Right to Vote
- First place with 1 2/3 votes! –Conrad Black – Don’t underestimate Donald. He will win submitted by Joshuapundit
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Victor Davis Hanson –The Origin Of Trump Nihilism submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – PJ Media –Clinton’s Laughable Claim: Petraeus Was Worse submitted by Stately McDaniel Manor
- Second place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Gates of Vienna – Geert Wilders in Brussels: “We Are the Vanguard of a Powerful Worldwide Movement” submitted by The Watcher
- Third place with 1 vote – Investor’s Business Daily – Obama’s Cuba Trip Showing Signs Of Imploding submitted by Fausta’s Blog
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –The Z Man – The Apostate submitted by The Right Planet
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Maj.Crispin Burke/War Is Boring – Yes, the U.S. Army Still Needs Paratroopers submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –PoliZette – submitted by VA Right! GOP Elites for Hillary!
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Daily Surge –UNBELIEVABLE! Obama To Skip Nancy Reagan’s Funeral For A Conference submitted by Puma By Design
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –PJ Media – Trump Would Dominate Clinton, Sanders in the General Election, Data Model Predicts submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Reason.Com –This University of Oregon Study on Feminizing Glaciers Might Make You Root for Trump submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Joe Concha/Mediaite –From Confirmation to Cancellation, CNN Irresponsible With Botched Rubio ‘Exclusive’ submitted by Nice Deb
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Moonbattery –Trump’s Authoritarian Appealsubmitted by The Daley Gator
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.
************************Thank you for stopping by Grumpy Opinions and while you are here, please SUBSCRIBE to our Grumpy Opinions newsletter to receive our emails. You can also subscribe to Grumpy Opinions’ in our right sidebar or if you have a WordPress.com account, in our WordPress.com READER in the admin panel on the top left. Social media accounts: