By Caroline May
The Daily Caller
Children and parents across the country are fed up with the restrictive new school meal regulations implemented by the Department of Agriculture under the “Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010,” which has long been touted by first lady Michelle Obama.
The standards — which cap meal calories at 650 for students in kindergarten through fifth grade, at 700 calories for middle school students and 850 for high school students — also dictate the number of breads, proteins, vegetables and fruits children are allowed per meal.
A spokeswoman for Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, who earlier this month introduced legislation to roll back the new standards, told The Daily Caller that King’s office has heard more complaints about the issue during the past few weeks than any other.
Iowa mom Robin Wissink told TheDC that she now provides her autistic daughter Molly, a junior in high school, with a bag lunch because her school’s new menu is so unappealing
- House Republicans Work to Reverse Calorie Limits on School Lunches (treehugger.com)
- High school students boycott school cafeteria over new lunch restrictions (foxnews.com)
- Wisconsin students boycott skimpy Michelle Obama lunch menu (grumpyelder.com)
- Students strike against new federal school lunch rules (redalertpolitics.com)
- Kansas Students to Obama: Stay Out of Our Lunch Room (radio.foxnews.com)
- School lunch calorie limits leave bitter taste with some students (kansas.com)
************************Thank you for stopping by Grumpy Opinions and while you are here, please SUBSCRIBE to our Grumpy Opinions newsletter to receive our emails. You can also subscribe to Grumpy Opinions’ in our right sidebar or if you have a WordPress.com account, in our WordPress.com READER in the admin panel on the top left. Social media accounts: